zondag 5 juni 2011

Google Earth top 10: Favourite castles

Google Earth is just about the best free toy anyone ever handed out! I can spend hours and hours rediscovering places I have visited, or discovering places I have never been to. 

I have loved castles all of my life, I grew up in the shadow of one as a matter of fact. I love to go castle hunting while on holiday and search for them. Btw: to me, a castle is not just a building that LOOKS like a castle, but that also served the same purpose. That means that almost all castles are found within the old world. Kitschy American castle-like rich man's dwellings are absolutely NOT castles.

To clarify further: castles are in some way fortified or started out as such. Many of course have been altered through the ages but they have to be based on a defensive building. Whether they are called castle or chateau is beside the point. The chateau of Versailles is most certainly not a proper castle, neither is Castle Howard. They are stately homes or palaces and belong in a different top 10.

Here are my 10 favourite real castles, as seen on Google Earth! Sites with an * behind the name indicate places I have been to.

10. Doornenburg, Netherlands *


9. Karlstejn, Czech Republic *


8. Montreuil-Bellay, France*

7. Kalmar Slott, Sweden


6. Heidelberg, Germany *

5. Caernarfon Castle, Wales *

4. Vianden, Luxembourg *

3. Spissky Hrad, Slovakia *

2. Bodiam Castle, East Sussex, UK *


1. Alcazar, Segovia, Spain *

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten